Friday, December 21, 2007

Diamonds are...not... forever

What a LONG day! I have been up since 3AM. I made a HUGE mistake this morning and took my night meds instead of my morning meds. My night meds include a sleeping pill. By the time I got to work I was ready to go to sleep. I didn't sew for long when my bundle handler said to clock out. She had me clean and cover machines all day to get ready for shutdown. She said her goal was 2 fold...first to keep me awake and second to keep me from sewing over my fingers. Anyway we had our Christmas luncheon and left at about 1PM. Bill picked me up so we could go to the temple, but we had to run a couple of errands first. He dropped me off at JoAnn's fabrics to pick up some lace and while I was having it cut the lady said "It looks like you're missing the diamond from your ring." I looked down and sure enough, where my diamond used to be was a hole. I made a lot of noise and started crying, and kept saying "I've had that diamond for over 33 years. To make a long story short, after I showed Bill my ring and had a good cry he reminded me if he had to choose between the diamond or me, he'd keep me. We went to the temple and I was still feeling pretty sad about things. But then I found, as I concentrated on things of eternity in the temple, that I could find joy in the fact that material things are not the treasure, that the gifts that are forever are our families and the gospel and the plan of salvation and our Savior's gift of the atonement, our Heavenly Father's enduring love and the relationships we form here. I am so grateful for the knowlege of these things, for the "forever things" that are ours to cherish. When we finished at the temple it was dark and we walked the grounds and enjoyed all the lights and Christmas music. Then we rode "The Trax" downtown to the Gateway mall and visited a jewler. We decided to have a new stone set in and the ring repaired. I feel very good about this and decided I could accept this as a new gift, even tho I am sad to have lost such a long time friend. Well we completed our walk in the freezing cold and stopped at the Rumbi Island Grill for a bite to eat. (It is a Hawaian place) By the time we got back to the Trax station and rode the train back to Temple square we were quite cold and still had a two block walk to the truck. I am glad to be home and warm and on my way to bed...What a day!

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Oh, Mom, I'm so sorry!! I can't imagine your distress and frustration. I'm glad that being at the temple sorted out priorities and that you decided to get a new stone. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I hope your drive to Gma and Gpa's house went well, and that you are enjoying your time there. I, too, and sorry to hear about your ring. I have had frightening moments when I have thought ring was lost (fortunately, not ever really lost) and I end up crying and upset over it. Steve always ends up reminding me that, for as much sentimental value as I place in the ring, it is replaceable :)