Sunday, September 14, 2008

Labor Day Weekend (a little late)

We got all packed the night before , since Bill was picking up the rental car and getting me from work, he had to pack the car. This might not seem significant to anyone out there, but I have always packed the car.

We timed our departure so we would be at Maddox for a late lunch. I can't rave enough about Maddox...The farm is out back of the restaurant and tomorrow's dinner is grazing or running around today. Let's just say if you've been in the area, and you missed Maddox, you missed a great dining experience! This is the first thing we see, from just up the road...then we know that lunch is just around the corner.
Because we are in a hurry (and also cheap er...I mean economical) we eat at the car-hop side. They also have a very nice dining room and a reception center. Both of which are a little more pricey. Then we make the drive to Idaho. Jim and Connie meet us at Mom and Dad's and we follow them up to Aaron's home (They call it a cabin) and get settled in for the weekend. I just realized the picture below does not even give the food justice. We ate like kings the whole time we were there and didn't do any prep or cleanup! A real vacation. There were always trays of fresh fruit, cookies, treats, and snacks available for our pleasure. The weather was beautiful and the setting very serene.
One of the things we did while we were there was play games. This was the favorite...Five Crowns. Even Bill eventually joined in and enjoyed the game. (He's not much for games)
Ahh, Bill's fav pastime, relaxing, visiting and learning more about the area. We also rode horses (sorry...no pictures of that) Bill said the last time he was on a horse was 45 years ago. He sang to his horse the whole time we were riding and we all thought he was really enjoying it. When we got home he said that he sang because he was scared to death and hoped if he was singing the horse wouldn't notice. Too funny! I thought I had plenty of padding, but my rear end was sure sore by the end of the ride:) We had a great time and a beautiful view when we got past the trees on the mountain. Here we are before leaving on Monday, with Jim and Connie, who also shared the weekend with us. They are the ones who hosted the Payette river trip that we did on Saturday. We thoroughly enjoyed that. It was my first time down the river...I guess you can tell we aren't terribly adventurous. We sure had a great time!
Good-bye cabin, we will treasure the fun times we had and the family we shared them with. (we couldn't get Karen in front of the camera, so Aaron took the picture of the 4 of us and we didn't get ANY of them) Aaron and Karen are wonderful host, and hostess, and should you get the opportunity to spend time with them, be sure to do it!


4 comments:

Melinda said...

I'm so glad you had fun! What a wonderful relaxing trip. I'm sort of jealous...last night was my best night since Lizzie was born...seven straight hours all to myself! Ahh, sleep! Really glad everything went well and you got your perfect vacation.

Nicia said...

That sounded liked all sorts of fun! Loved the pictures!!

Kathy Whittle said...

So glad you were able to have such a great weekend! We've went up to Aaron's cabin for a weekend last year, and it was a blast. They really know how to have fun.!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful time! I think it's really funny that Dad was singing to his horse so it wouldn't know he was scared of it... I had told Steve that you guys had bought that trip at the reunion and he said he would like to do something like that. Maybe next time we can afford a trip like that...